As the days grow shorter and cooler, there’s nothing better to snuggle up with than an hearty scone, with lashings of soy-cream and fruity jam. These gluten, sugar, dairy-free and vegan date scones will certainly hit the spot!
Gluten-Free & Vegan Date Scones
By April-Tui Buckley (www.thebalancedvegan.com)
Serves 9 | Prep 15 mins | Cook 15 mins |
GF SF DF EF V MF
- 3 cups flour- I used 2 cups buckwheat, 1 cup spelt ( replace this for 100% GF with preferred flour ), both stoneground
- 5 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 50g coconut oil
- pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1- 1 1/2 cup brown rice milk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- Some orange juice and extra milk
- Preheat oven to 230C and place non stick tray inside to heat.
- Sift dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut oil by hand and rub into the flour between your fingertips.
- Add the milk in stages and mix quickly with a knife. Do not over-mix.
- Mix in chopped dates.
- Turn out onto floured surface and roll out to about 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut into nine even scones with a knife or cutter.
- Remove tray from oven, sprinkle with flour and place scones on tray carefully.
- Mix about a tablespoon of plant milk with 2 teaspoons orange juice and brush scones with this for a nice golden colour.
- Place scones in oven and cook for 12-15 minutes or until golden and well cooked.
- Serve hot with raspberry & chia seed jam
About the author: Born in New Zealand, April has been living in London for the past 11 years with her daughter and husband. She has a life-long passion for health and wellness, having trained as an aromatherapist almost 20 years ago, which set her on a journey to learn about natural health and wellness. April also earned a Diploma in Nutrition and recently completed the Plant Based Nutrition Certificate with Cornell University and the T Colin Campbell Centre for Nutrition Studies. Her goal is to simplify what she has learnt to help ordinary people live a more natural, balanced and healthy life. To find out more about April, please visit her website, The Balanced Vegan.