A really delicious and simple gluten-free recipe to help you get into the Christmas spirit! Perfect for encouraging your little ones to get baking!
Gluten-free gingerbread biscuits
For the biscuit:
- 300g Schär Mix It! Universal
- ½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 egg
- 75g Muscavado sugar
- 75g golden syrup
- 75g butter
- 1 tsp all spice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
For the icing:
- 200g royal icing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Tip: Alternatively you could purchase icing pens in a variety of colours
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°/150°C Fan/Gas Mark 3.
- Combine the sugar, golden syrup, butter, spices and ginger in a bowl and microwave for 1-2 minutes until melted. Stir and set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir the Schär Mix It! Universal and xanthan gum into the melted mix. Add the egg, and stir using a wooden spoon and then mix by hand. Bring together and make a ball of dough.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough to the thickness of a £1 coin and using a Christmas tree shaped pastry cutter to cut into tree shapes. Pull away any excess dough and repeat the process until no dough is left.
- Place each biscuit onto the lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits start to brown.
- When the biscuits are out of the oven, whilst still warm, place a hole with a skewer into the top of the tree if you wish to use them as a Christmas tree decoration.
- Allow the biscuits to cool fully before decorating.
- To decorate: Mix together the icing ingredients and decorate the biscuits as desired.
You can store in an airtight tin for up to 3 days.