This delicious gluten-free Indian-fusion recipe for chicken traybake with crispy lemon & turmeric potatoes, red onion wedges and spinach is such a treat for a summers eve!
Indian chicken traybake
- 320g British chicken thighs
- 1 red onion
- 400g potatoes
- 120g natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 15g fresh root ginger
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 120g baby leaf spinach
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C. Peel and finely chop (or grate) the ginger. Add the chopped ginger to a large bowl with the curry powder, 1 tbsp natural yoghurt (save the rest for later!) and a drizzle of vegetable oil. Add the chicken thighs and give everything a good mix up until the chicken is fully coated in the marinade.
- Cut the potatoes (skins on) into small bite-sized pieces. Peel and chop the red onion into wedges. Crush the garlic with the side of a knife, keeping the skins on.
- Add the chopped potatoes and red onion wedges to a large roasting tray with a generous drizzle of vegetable oil. Sprinkle over the ground turmeric and yellow mustard seeds. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and give everything a good mix up.
- Cut the lemon into wedges. Squeeze half the lemon wedges over the potatoes and add the squeezed wedges to the tray (save the remaining wedges for garnish!).
- Add the crushed garlic to the tray, along with the chicken and any remaining marinade. Put the tray in the oven for an initial 30 min.
- Use this time to clear up, set the table, have a cup of tea or simple chill! Once everything’s been cooking for 30 min, remove the tray from the oven, oush the chicken to one side of the tray and add the spinach. Return the tray to the oven for a further 5 min or until the spinach has wilted and the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, slice the red chilli finely. Once everything’s cooked, remove the chicken from the tray and stire the wilted spinach through the potatoes and onion.
- Serve the Indian chicken with the potato, spinach and onion wedges to the side. Dollop with the remaining natural yoghurt. Garnish with the sliced chilli, nigella seeds and lemon wedges. Enjoy!
UK leading recipe box, Gousto, has revealed that 1 in 20 of its customers caters to a gluten-free diet in their household. With nearly one in five households now avoiding gluten or wheat*, it’s natural that Gousto sees providing wholesome, healthy and exciting gluten-free meals as a priority for its customers.
Gousto’s gluten-free range has been developed to make it even more simple and convenient for families to put good, nourishing food on the table. Allowing Gousto to cater to the different needs families have, it enables them to enjoy eating tasty, home-cooked meals whatever the dietary needs of the household are.
Gousto uses ingredients from trusted suppliers naturally free in gluten – including seasonal vegetables, 100% British meat, quality seafood and fresh herbs – the delicious range of gluten-free recipes on offer include Indonesian-Style Chicken Rendang, Roasted Portobellos, Garlic Bean Mash and Chimichurri and Sweet Mixed Pepper & Chive Risotto.
Timo Boldt, CEO and Founder at says: “All coeliacs or those with gluten intolerances know that gluten-free food can be uninspiring to say the least – particularly in variety and flavour. But with Gousto’s vast offering that doesn’t have to be the case.
“Our gluten-free range has been designed to offer not only uncompromised flavour and goodness but also exciting and inspiring recipes that won’t leave our gluten-free customers bored.”
Gousto starts from £2.98 per meal, per person and are available to order at www.gousto.co.uk.