Nutritional expert and founder of Nosh Detox, Geeta Sidhu-Robb, shares her expertise on how to actively fight against Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and ensure that we stay glowing inside and out throughout the cold and dark of winter.
What is SAD?
A staggering 1 million people in the UK will experience the gloomy symptoms of SAD this winter. These include:
- Low energy levels
- Low self-esteem
- Persistent low mood
- Loss of pleasure or interest in normal everyday activities
- Feelings of despair, guilt and worthlessness
- Sleeping during the day
- Sleeping for longer than normal and finding it hard to get up in the morning
- Craving carbohydrates and gaining weight
How can it be treated?
Traditional treatments for SAD include cognitive behavioural therapy, antidepressants, light therapy and regular exercise; although there is now a more simplistic and time effective remedy: Vitamin D.
Some benefits of the magical vitamin include:
- Regulates calcium metabolism
- Regulates calcification of the bones
- Regulates the body’s use of phosphorus – important for bone structure
- Maintains healthy blood levels of calcium and phosphorus
- Helps maintain nervous system, heart function and normal blood clotting
In light of the recent government report, recommending that everyone should consider investing in vitamin D supplements, Geeta believes we should all take our vitamin consumption more seriously; especially in winter.
“Nosh Detox has been talking about this for five years. I am very health conscious; I eat healthily, exercise, but I had zero vitamin D in my body. Most people do not realise that they are lacking in vitamin D, until it is too late. Most people do not know that Vitamin D is in fact a hormone, which has a profound effect on how we feel and our mood.”
For more information, please visit www.noshdetox.com