This seriously moist banana cake with vanilla yoghurt frosting is made with wholesome ingredients that the whole family will love.
Banana Cake with Vanilla Yoghurt Frosting
Serves 8 | Preparation time 15 mins | Baking time 45 mins
For the cake:
- 125g gluten-free self raising flour
- 50g oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g sultanas
- 100g butter
- 100g honey
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 medium bananas mashed (peeled weight approx. 220g)
For the frosting:
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or bean paste
- 2 tsp runny honey
- 1-2 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and grease/line an 18cm round cake tin. Place the flour, oats, baking powder and sultanas in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the butter, honey and sugar, stirring until all the butter has melted.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry. Add the eggs and mashed banana, then mix well together. Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for approx 45 mins. The cake will be firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean when baked. The top will be a deep golden brown. If it is catching (browning too deeply) on the top before the inside is cooked through, place a piece of tin foil on the top.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5-10 mins before turning out gently. It is an idea to lay a sheet of greaseproof paper or foil on the cooling rack to stop it leaving marks in the cake as the surface will be quite soft when out of the oven.
- To make the frosting, place the yoghurt in a bowl, add the vanilla and honey and stir through. Slowly add the icing sugar, testing it for sweetness as you go. Spread over the top of the cake and keep in the fridge, in a container until ready to serve.
* You could add a teaspoon of your favourite spice to the mix and the frosting to alter the flavour to your taste.