The secret ingredient in this Chocolate and Raspberry Gateau is Potato Flour, which is gluten free and widely in Scandinavian baking. This stunning gateau has a beautiful light sponge, and the chocolate and raspberries are a winning combination. Simply delicious!
Chocolate and Raspberry Gateau
For the sponge:
- 75g potato flour
- 25g cocoa
- 2tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 300g raspberries
For the filling & topping:
- 75g white chocolate
- 150ml double cream
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 75g plain chocolate
- 15g butter
- ½ tsp icing sugar
- 2×8”/20cm round loose bottom tins
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/Fan160°C/350 °F/Gas 4
- Put the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs and beat the whites until stiff. Beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time.
- In another bowl, beat the yolks until they thicken slightly. Fold the yolk into the egg white with a metal spoon.
- Sieve half of the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix using a cutting and folding action with the metal spoon. Next sieve in the remaining flour and fold in.
- Divide the mixture between two parchment-lined 20cm/8” round loose bottom cake tins. Smooth the tops and bake in a pre-heated oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes then remove the cake from the tins.
To make the filling: Whip half the cream until thick. Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate for 40 seconds in a microwave then stir this into the whipped cream. Spread over one half of the cake, then sandwich the other half on top.
To make the topping: Heat the remaining cream, the sugar and the butter and stir until just boiling. Add the plain chocolate and stir until melted, then leave to cool for 5 minutes. Spread over the top of the cake and press the raspberries into the warm chocolate topping. Dust the raspberries with the icing sugar using a sieve.
Doves Farm specialises in free from baking ingredients and this cake is suitable for people with a gluten intolerance, coeliac disease or for anyone looking for something a little bit special. For more information, please visit Doves Farm website.