This gluten-free chocolate espresso flourless cake is super moist, and it stays this way for days! It is also grain free and filled with rich chocolate and coffee flavour, topped off with whipped cream, fresh strawberries, praline and a drizzle of raspberry sauce for a mouth-wateringly decadent pud.
Chocolate espresso flourless cake
By Gilkatho (www.17brightideas.com.au)
Serves 6-8 | Prep 25 mins | Cook 40-45 mins | Calories 322 (per serving)
- 170g (6oz) dark chocolate
- 50g (1¾oz) butter
- 6 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 200g (7oz) sugar
- 30ml (1fl oz) espresso coffee
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas Mark 4. Line a 23cm (9in) cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a bowl, stirring until smooth, over a saucepan of boiling water.
- Beat the egg yolks and 100g (3½oz) sugar mixture in a separate bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until thick and pale. Add a pinch of salt and the espresso and combine for 1 minute. Add the vanilla and chocolate, then mix and combine for another minute.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white on medium high until foamy. Increase the speed to high, then gradually add the remaining sugar mixture and beat for about 5 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into the chocolate mixture, transfer the batter to the cake tin and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until set. Let the cake cool on a wire rack. Top with whipped cream, fresh strawberries, praline and a drizzle of raspberry sauce.