This lovely date and whiskey cake is a superbly moist loaf cake that only improves over time! Perfect for a naughty, grown-up treat!
George’s Date and Whiskey Cake
Serves 8-10 | Preparation time 20 mins | Baking time 1 hr 15 mins
- 55g butter
- 100ml water
- 225g dates, stoned and roughly chopped
- 100g caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 30ml whiskey
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 50g walnuts
- 225g gluten-free self raising flour
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3 and grease and line a 2lb/900g loaf tin. In a small saucepan, gently heat together the butter and water until the butter melts and the water is just boiling.
- Place the dates, caster sugar, vanilla and bicarbonate of soda in a large mixing bowl and pour over the butter and water, then add the whiskey and mix together. Stir in the egg, walnuts and flour and spoon into the prepared tin, levelling the top.
- Sprinkle over the Demerara sugar and bake until golden brown, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Check after an hour and then every 5 mins until it is done. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 mins before turning out onto a wire rack.
* Enjoy a slice of this cake with a glass of single malt and some creamy stilton for a unique flavour combination.