A delicious moist and spicy gluten-free carrot cake, smothered in delicious vanilla buttercream!
Serves 12 | Preparation time 20 mins | Baking time 35 mins
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake:
- 210g unsalted butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 300g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tsp baking powder
- 450g grated carrots
- 100g finely chopped walnuts
- 150g sultanas
- 200g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 450g icing sugar
- 1-3tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan and grease and line with parchment paper two 8″ springform cake tins.
- Cream together your butter and sugar until smooth – add in the eggs, flour, cinnamon, and baking powder and beat again till smooth.
- Once this is mixed, squeeze out some of the water it the carrots using kitchen paper towel, and then add to the cake mix along with the sultanas and walnuts. Mix the mixture again until its smooth and then pour into the cake tins – bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the cake is cooked – test using a cake skewer, it should come out clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tins – then cool fully on a wire rack.
- Make the buttercream by beating the room temperature butter for a couple of minutes until its really smooth and supple, then add the icing sugar half at a time making sure its fully incorporated before moving on.
- Add in a little bit of milk at a time till you get the consistency you like – roughly two tablespoons. Pipe the buttercream onto the cakes and then sprinkle the top of the cake with the extra cinnamon.
- This cake will last best in the fridge – for 3 days, covered.