Everyone loves muffins. In this gluten-free cherry berry muffin recipe, the blueberries are stirred into the mixture to keep these tasty muffins moist, while the cherry preserve makes them burst with flavour.
Gluten-free cherry berry muffins
Servings: 8-9 muffins | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
For the muffins:
- 250g Schär Mix It! Universal
- 2tsp gluten free baking powder
- ½tsp mixed spice
- 115g light brown sugar
- 75g blueberries
- 85g unsalted butter
- 115g 3.5% fat natural yoghurt
- 2 medium eggs
- 85g cherry preserve
- Demerara sugar
For the topping:
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 250g icing sugar
- 1tbsp milk
- ½tsp lemon extract
- 1tsp cherry preserve
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°/170˚C Fan/Gas Mark 5. Put 8 -9 paper muffin cases in a muffin tray.
- Sieve the Schär Mix It! Universal, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl, stir in the sugar and blueberries (cut large blueberries in half).
- Melt the butter over a low heat and leave to cool in a bowl before beating together with the yoghurt and egg. Add the cherry preserve and stir until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Add the yoghurt mixture to the flour mix and carefully fold in. Do not over mix.
- Place 2 dessert spoons of the mixture into each muffin case. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. The muffins are delicious served warm or left to cool.
- If you wish to decorate the muffins, beat the butter and icing sugar together in a bowl; add the milk to soften slightly. Divide the mixture in two and add lemon extract to half and cherry preserve to the other half. Place each mixture into piping bags and ice in swirls to create a two tone buttercream blend on top.