The sticky sesame granola topping makes this moist loaf gluten-free cake feel almost virtuous!
Granola Topped Gluten-Free Loaf Cake
Serves 8 | Preparation time 20 mins | Baking time 45-50 mins
For the granola topping:
- 40g gluten-free porridge oats (substitute with roughly ground almonds if sensitive to oats)
- 30g sunflower seeds
- 20g sesame seeds
- 20g walnuts, chopped
- 20g butter
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 20g muscovado sugar
- 50g dried cranberries
For the sponge:
- 190g butter, softened
- 190g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 100g gluten-free self raising flour, sifted
- 90g ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3 then grease and line the base and sides of a 900g loaf tin. To prepare the granola topping, mix the oats, seeds and walnuts together in a bowl then spread on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 5 mins.
- Melt the butter, honey and sugar together in a pan, add the toasted oat mixture and cranberries and stir to combine. Press the mixture into the base of the prepared loaf tin.
- For the sponge, use a food mixer to cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, flour, almonds and baking powder and beat until smooth. Spread the mixture over the granola topping in the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 45-50 mins until the sponge has risen and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to stand for 10 mins then remove from the tin, peel away the baking paper and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Serve in generous slices.