Crunchy and wholly nourishing, this roasted sweet potato and chickpea salad is a flavoursome and nutritious meal.
By Amy of Fragrant Vanilla Cake.
This recipe is: gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, vegetarian and vegan.
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- olive oil
- sea salt
- 3 Tbsp pumpkin seed butter
- 3 Tbsp filtered water (or as needed)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground chipotle pepper or cayenne pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- toasted cumin seeds and coriander seeds
- fresh marjoram leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Toss the yams with just enough olive oil to coat and sprinkle with sea salt, then spread out onto the pan. Roast for about 20-30 minutes until softened and browning at the edges. Once the yams have finished cooking let them cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl, and whisk together until smooth (or, I like to use an immersion blender in a tall glass measuring cup if you have that).
- To assemble the salad, scatter the greens on the bottom of the plates, then top with the chickpeas, yams, bell pepper. Drizzle with the dressing, then sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds, cumin, coriander and marjoram.
About the author: Amy lives in Minnesota and runs her blog Fragrant Vanilla Cake, which features mostly raw, vegan recipes. She especially likes creating cakes and desserts, but you’ll find the occasional savoury dish too. Aside from her passion for creating new and delicious recipes, Amy also loves running and has a degree in studio art – her artistic mind is clear in the beautiful food creations she makes. You can visit her Facebook page, and follow her on Twitter.