These sticky date slices will no doubt be eaten as quick as you can make them! Full of oaty goodness with a sticky sweet date layer these slices are perfect picnic sweet treats that feel really quite healthy when you devour one!
Sticky Date Slices
Makes 12 large slices | Preparation time 30mins | Baking time 35 mins
GF EF MF
For the oat crust:
- 240g jumbo rolled oats
- 300g gluten-free plain flour
- 190g demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 300g unsalted butter cut into small pieces
For the filling:
- 600g pitted dates roughly chopped
- 300ml water
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- Preheat oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Using silicone baking parchment line the base of a 20x28cm rectangular tin.
- Place the chopped dates, water and seeds from the vanilla pod into a saucepan and gently heat until all the water has been absorbed and the dates have broken down, stirring occasionally. This will take about 5-10 mins. Set aside and leave to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the chopped butter, using a knife cut and mix in the chopped butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Remove half of the oat mixture and pulse in a food processor until you have a coarse crumb and then firmly press this into the base of the prepared tin using your fingers or the back of the spoon to create an even base. Carefully spread the cooled date filling evenly over base. Finally sprinkle the remaining coarser oat mixture crust evenly over the top of the dates pressing down slightly into an even layer.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for approximately 35 mins or until golden brown. Remove from oven and place the tin on a wire rack to cool. Once the squares have cooled to room temperature cover with cling film and put it in the fridge for at least one hour to make them easier to slice. Remove from the tin a slice into 12 large slices and serve.
* As an equally sweet alternative you could use dried apricots instead of dates. Also, don’t forget to reuse your vanilla pod for great vanilla sugar.