Published On: Wed, Mar 8th, 2017

Customer has severe reaction after ‘gluten-free’ meal they ordered contained 80 times maximum level of gluten

A diner was hit with a severe allergic reaction after a restaurant served him a “gluten-free” meal – with 80 times the maximum levels of gluten.

Photo: Dimitrios Legakis / Athena Pictures

A customer became ill with chronic abdominal pain after ordering what he believed to be a special ‘gluten-free’ meal from a Vietnamese restaurant in Swansea

When Trading Standards staff went to the Vietnam restaurant in Uplands, Swansea, to buy the same meals for tests, their checks discovered the meal contained 80 times the permitted maximum levels, making it dangerously unsafe to be consumed by those suffering with coeliac disease.

Restaurant owner Manh Van Vo was fined £1,200 and ordered to pay costs of £828. Vo also pleaded guilty to two offences contrary to the Food Information (Wales) Regulations 2014 at Swansea Magistrates’ Court.

Councillor Mark Child, cabinet member for wellbeing and healthy city, said: “Consumers who eat out or purchase a takeaway need to have the confidence that they are not being put at risk as a direct result of allergenic ingredients such as gluten.

“To advertise meals as gluten-free and not be fully aware of the ingredients in the meal is unacceptable and can put consumers at risk.

“Hopefully the penalty issued to the restaurant owner will send out a message to others that they need to be more responsible and have a better understanding of the food they are serving.”

Source: ITV News

Comments

Tags: