Buckwheat has been used for delicate crepes in France for years, amazingly Buckwheat is not actually a grain and these babies are gluten-free! Use the Chilean blueberries to add amazing flavour and stunning colour, these buckwheat crepes are great for every occasion from breakfast through to dessert. You can even make them naughtier with the addition of vanilla ice cream!
Blueberry Buckwheat Crepes with Blueberry Lemon Compote
By Sophie Mitchell (www.sophiemichell.com)
- 250g Buckwheat flour
- 75ml sparkling water
- 100g Chilean blueberries
- 100ml milk
- 50g melted butter
- 3 eggs
Blueberry and Lemon Compote:
- 250g Chilean Blueberries
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 200g Greek Yoghurt to serve
- Firstly puree the blueberries and sparkling water together until a fine puree. Then whisk the eggs, milk and the melted butter in a separate bowl.
- Place the buckwheat flour in a large bowl and pour first the egg mix and then the blueberry puree into the centre of the flour. Whisk well to combine until smooth. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes whilst you make the compote.
- To make the compote place the sugar, blueberries and lemon zest into a small saucepan and then place on a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then when you are ready to go, heat up a frying pan to a medium high heat, add a touch of oil and a tiny knob of butter, then pour about 4 dessert spoonfuls of the mix into the centre and swirl around quickly to cover the pan and produce a thin pancake. Then flip over and cook on the side for one more minute.
- When ready fold the pancakes over into quarters, then place 2 on each plate and spoon over some greek yoghurt and compote.