Irish beef hot pot recipe by Chef Terry Edwards
Our epic cover recipe this Irish beef hot pot is the ultimate comfort food and will definitely fill up any empty stomachs.
Irish beef and baby beetroot hot pot
- 1 tbsp gluten-free plain flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 700 g diced Irish chuck steak
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 200-300 g bunch of baby beetroot, peeled and halved
- 3 large Maria Piper potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 600 ml gluten-free dark beef stock
- 30 g butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas Mark 3.
Toss the diced Irish beef in the flour and season well with salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in a heavy-based, deep casserole dish (with a lid) and brown the beef, in batches if necessary. Return all the meat to the pan and add the onions, carrots, beetroot and thyme leaves. Generously season with salt and pepper and mix well.
Arrange the potatoes on top of the meat and vegetable mix, taking care to make the potato layer nice and neat.
Pour over just enough stock to come up to the bottom of the potato layer.
Cover with the casserole lid and bake in the oven for about 1½ hours. Remove the lid and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes to crisp the potatoes.