Don’t let the word ‘dirty’ confuse you – this rice dish is low in fat, salt and sugar, but will still feel like a treat! Crayfish and pork are the perfect meaty marriage in a Cajun-spiced feast.
Southern-style dirty rice with crayfish
Crayfish and pork are the perfect meaty marriage in this Cajun-spiced feast.
- 200 g pack of baby leaf greens
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion peeled, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 1 green pepper deseeded and roughly sliced
- 4 gluten-free pork sausages with black pepper skinned
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Cooks' Ingredients Cajun Spice Rub
- 2 x 250 g packs of microwavable long grain rice
- 100 g pack of Waitrose & Partners Cooked and Peeled Crayfish Tails
- 3 salad onions sliced
- 4 lemon wedges
Remove the thick stems from the baby leaf greens and discard. Finely shred the leaves, rinse in a colander under a cold tap, then shake off the excess water and set aside.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and green pepper. Add the sausagemeat from the skins into the pan and fry together for 20 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until everything is turning golden.
Stir in the cayenne pepper and cajun spice and fry for a couple of minutes. Stir in the greens and fry for 1 minute more. Break up the rice inside the packs, then add to the pan with 100ml (31⁄2fl oz) water. Fry, tossing everything together, for 3-4 minutes until piping hot. Season, then divide the rice between plates and top with the crayfish, salad onions and lemon wedges.