You cannot beat the combination of cheese and onion, especially not when it’s combined with lovely crisp pastry!
Gluten-free cheese & onion tarts
By Isabel Gordon (www.isabelsfreefrom.co.uk)
Makes 12 | Prep 20 mins | Cook 25-30 mins | Calories 135 (per tart)
GF SF V
For the pastry:
- 150g (5½oz) Isabel’s Gluten-Free Batter Flour Mix
- 100g (3½oz) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2-3 tsp water
For the filling:
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 100ml (3½fl oz) single cream
- 50g (1¾oz) mature Cheddar cheese
- 20g (1oz) Parmesan cheese
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the flour into a large bowl, then rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the water and mix until it forms a dough. Roll into a ball. Cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry thinly on a lightly floured surface. Using a 7.5cm (3in) biscuit cutter, cut out 12 dough rings from the pastry and use it to line a non-stick tartlet baking tray.
- For the filling, whisk together the beaten egg, cream, cheese and spring onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully pour the filling mixture into the pastry cases and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is just set and the pastry is golden. Garnish with spring onions. Serve warm or cold.
For more delicious recipes, visit Isabel’s Naturally Free From website.