Afternoon tea isn’t complete without a traditional gluten-free Victoria sponge cake. Why not decorate with buttercream and seasonal berries to give it that extra wow factor.
Gluten-free Victoria sponge cake
Servings: 8 | Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes
For the cake:
- 325g Schär Mix It! Universal
- 4tsp gluten free baking powder
- 220g butter at room temperature
- 220g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 3tbsp milk
- 1½tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 4tbsp strawberry jam
- 400g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 150g butter at room temperature
- 1-2 tbsp milk
For the decoration:
- Fresh berries
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°/150°C Fan/Gas Mark 3
- Place the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and beat well for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is light and pale.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk for a further 2 minutes.
- Place the mixture into two round 20cm cake tins that have been greased and base-lined with baking parchment
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Leave in the tins until the sponge has cooled before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream. Place the butter and half of the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract and whisk for a further 2 minutes until smooth.
- Sandwich together the sponge with a layer of strawberry jam and buttercream.
- To decorate the top: Pipe with buttercream and add fresh fruit for an extra pop of colour.