These savoury vege-bacon, caramelised onion and cheddar muffins are perfect for a picnic or lunch box, though like all savoury muffins, they are best enjoyed straight from the oven! Mmmm…
Vege-Bacon, Caramelised Onion and Cheddar Muffins
Serves 10-12 | Prep 1 hr 10 mins | Cook 20-25 mins |
- 300g self raising flower
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 x eggs
- 160ml sunflower/vegetable oil
- 125ml milk
- 100g cheddar cheese cut into small pieces (to make approx 50 equal sized small chunks)
- 3 slices vege-bacon grilled or fried then torn or cut into pieces
- 2 medium oinions
- A little oil for frying
- To caramelise the onions, peel the onions and cut in half from the top to the root. Lay flat and slice to a thickness of approx 2mm. Heat a little olive oil, approx a tbsp, in a frying pan. Keep on a low to medium heat, add the onions and cook gently whilst stirring occassionaly. They are ready when they are soft and brown, be careful not to let them burn and stick to the pan. If they do, add a little water then stir well across the pan base. To aid the browning you can add a little salt, just a pinch, also a tsp of sugar would work well. The onions can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for a day or so.
- Pre heat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 and grease a muffin tin or layout muffin cases. In a large bowl sieve the flour and baking powder and stir. Into a small bowl put the milk, oil and eggs and whisk briefly until combined and creamy. Add the wet mixture to the dry and fold through very quickly. Be careful not to stir too much as this will make the muffins dense and stodgy.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cases up to about half way and bake for 20-25 mins until golden and firm. When cooked cool a little on a rack but remember these taste best served warm!
* You can add real bacon instead of vege-bacon. Also, a handful of chopped fresh herbs would be great too, especially chives.